What is your mission?
The Ascend Collaborative brings together the private sector, philanthropy and to direct resources to the most effective non-profit organisations in order to empower and integrate refugees and other newcomers, while also supporting local communities.
Where do you deploy the money you raise?
We deploy funds to:
Generate Livelihoods | Empower Communities | Support Youth | Meet Basic Human Needs.
How are you a 100% model? Who funds you?
We are fortunate to be backed by our founder, Frank Giustra of the Giustra Foundation. As a founding member of the collaborative, he is covering all of our initial operation costs, so that we can ensure every dollar we raise goes to the recipients that need them most.
Why private-sector partners?
Ascend is built on the premise that the private sector and traditional philanthropy can achieve more working together than independently.
We believe that the private sector can leverage capital, resources, and entrepreneurial know-how that is often absent in traditional development and governmental bodies.
By bringing together the private sector, foundations, donors and local actors, we can find innovative ways to create jobs, protect youth, meet urgent needs and revitalize local economies for refugees and locals in need.
In the long run, market-based forces are critical in job creation and other aspects of successful integration of newcomers, as well as in creating cross-sectoral alliances that can lobby governments and enact policy shifts for more systematic change.
Aren’t the government agencies and INGOs covering the needs?
The traditional funding framework in international humanitarian aid and development is not currently able to deploy funds to local organizations. Less than 2% of total funding available reaches local organizations directly. As a lean startup model operation, we are able to move faster than the bureaucratically laden governmental entities and international NGOs when it comes to getting funds and resources into the hands of the people on the ground. We can also invest in innovation, to try new models and share them — and scale them — when they succeed.
Why should I join as a partner?
By joining us as a founding partner, you gain access to:
- Leverage: We help leverage additional capital towards partners’ preferred issues and projects
- On-the-Ground-Expertise: Direct on-the-ground presence as a convenor, catalyst and funder
- Oversight: We build strong relationships with our grantees, and offer up-to-date oversight and monitoring services
- Efficient and Nimble Capital Deployment: We eschew large-scale bureaucracies and deploy capital directly to local high-impact organizations
- Communications Synergy: Joint branding, public relations and communications
- Cost Sharing: Share the expertise of the Ascend management team for minimal or zero cost
What sort of partners are you looking for?
Who are your current partners?
- Giustra Foundation (founding)
- IKEA Foundation (founding)
- The Coca-Cola Company (founding)
- The Libra Group (founding)
- NextFab Foundation
- Open Society Foundations
- Solidarity Now